Lupin the 3rd is a live action movie directed by Ryuhei Kitamura. It is the second live action movie based on the manga of the same name by Monkey Punch, the first being Strange Psychokinetic Strategy.
The Crimson Heart: gift from Julius Caesar to Cleopatra and necklace of unrivalled beauty and inestimable value. Thought lost forever, it reappears centuries later, but in two parts possessed by two rival moguls; Pramuk, a Southeast Asian tycoon and underworld king and Dawson, an aging British mogul and former partner of the legendary Great Thief Lupin.
Meanwhile, Interpol Inspector Zenigata hopes to make the bust of his life at the Dawson estate, where the world's top thieves have assembled to appoint a new leader to Dawson's thievery syndicate, The Works. Among them is Lupin the Third, grandson to Great Thief Lupin.
When Pramuk orchestrates an infiltration, assassinating Dawson and snatching the necklace, Lupin vows to avenge his death and steal back The Crimson Heart by assembling his own elite team of thieves - Daisuke Jigen, Fujiko Mine and Goemon Ishikawa. They descend on The Ark, a remote and heavily-armed island fortress with an impregnable, state-of-the-art security system. Nevertheless, Lupin and friends won't stop until they pry redemption and the world's most coveted prize from Pramuk's hands.
|Lupin III||Shun Oguri|
|Daisuke Jigen||Tetsuji Tamayama|
|Fujiko Mine||Meisa Kuroki|
|Goemon Ishikawa XIII||Gō Ayano|
|Inspector Koichi Zenigata||Tadanobu Asano|
|Michael Lee||Jerry Yan|
|Arsène Lupin||Carl Wolf|
- DVD February 18, 2015
- Blu-ray February 18, 2015
- VOD March 18, 2015 (Mediatres)
- DVD March 18, 2015 [rent] / April 8, 2015 [buy] (Mediatres)
- Blu-ray April 8, 2015 (Mediatres)
- DVD May 18, 2017 Lupin III - il Film (Eagle Pictures)
- Blu-ray May 18, 2017 Lupin III - il Film (Eagle Pictures)
- DVD Lupin the 3rd - Der Meisterdieb
- DVD (Madman credited as Eastern Eye)
- Blu-ray (Madman credited as Eastern Eye)
- Upon news of the film's production, Monkey Punch expressed no desire to be involved with it, however he eventually became a creative consultant during scripting and even makes a cameo appearance as a passenger on Lupin and Jigen's flight from Japan to Thailand.
- The general reception of the movie is mostly negative among Japanese and Western audiences, with most of the criticism centering on its screenplay and supporting cast. Oguri, Tamayama, Ayano, Kuroki and Asano (the main cast) however were seen as well-cast in their roles.
- In a 2015 interview, Kitamura stated that a sequel was in development.