Alcatraz Connection is the 13th Lupin the 3rd television special.
Zenigata arrives on the Machine Gun Kelly, a casino on the water owned by the mafia, because Lupin plans on stealing the casino's money. Lupin and his gang manages to break into the ship's vault but was unable to escape with the money due to Zenigata's shooting. However, there was another purpose the ship had, one that Lupin was aware of; to search for a sunken ship filled with gold. Lupin managed to steal this data while he was on the ship, however, now they have to contend with Zenigata, the mafia, and a secret organization whose base is under Alcatraz, as they attempt to uncover the secret behind the organization and the sunken treasure.
|Lupin III||Kanichi Kurita|
|Daisuke Jigen||Kiyoshi Kobayashi|
|Goemon Ishikawa XIII||Makio Inoue|
|Fujiko Mine||Eiko Masuyama|
|Inspector Koichi Zenigata||Gorō Naya|
|Terry Crown||Tarō Ishida|
|Lucino Marcano||Norio Matsui|
- Yū Shimaka
- Daisuke Egawa
- Mitsuru Ogata
- Yūji Kishi
- Tomohiro Tsuboi
- Tarusuke Shingaki
- Italian ("Fuga da Alcatraz" [Mediaset] / "Alcatraz Connection")
|Lupin III||Roberto Del Giudice|
|Daisuke Jigen||Sandro Pellegrini|
|Goemon Ishikawa XIII||Antonio Palumbo|
|Fujiko Mine||Alessandra Korompay|
|Inspector Koichi Zenigata||Rodolfo Bianchi|
|Terry Crown||Stefano Mondini|
- When the Machine Gun Kelly ship is shown for the first time it says "MACHIN GUN KELLY", it is however corrected in the next shots.
Relating to this, the soundtrack of the TV Special calls it Alcatraz Conection.
The opening theme was a vocal version of "Theme from Lupin III" by Yuji Ohno featuring Akiko. The ending theme was "What's the Worry?" by Yuji Ohno Trio featuring Akiko.
List of music used in the movie
|00:00||02:10||JFK Memories||Lupin the Third TV Special Original Sound Track Alcatraz Connection||Showing around the Machine Gun Kelly with Zenigata and Terry Crown landed from a helicopter|
|02:35||02:39||Subtitle||??||Lupin's calling card on the laptop|
|02:40||03:14||Theme From Lupin III <Ringtone version>||Lupin the Third TV Special Original Sound Track Alcatraz Connection||Lupin's message|
|03:15||03:19||Subtitle||??||Coming Soon/Don't Miss It messages|
|03:19||04:08||??||??||Andy showing Zenigata around the casino|
|04:30||05:04||??||??||Monster coming up from the sea|
|05:12||08:46||Lupin The Third [Theme From Lupin III] <TV size>||Lupin the Third TV Special Original Sound Track Alcatraz Connection||Lupin gang break into Machine Gun Kelly|
- VHS October 2001 (VPVY-66865, VAP)
- DVD October 24, 2001 CD Packaging (VPBY-11380, VAP)
- DVD June 21, 2006 DVD Packaging (VPBY-17789, VAP)
- DVD Alcatraz Connection & Episode 0: First Contact (Futabasha)
- Blu-ray March 17, 2010 Lupin the Third: Lupin the BOX -TV Special BD Collection- (VPXY-71910, VAP)
- DVD (Yamato Video)
- DVD Lupin the 3rd Special DVD Collection (1LUP??, DeAGOSTINI/Yamato Video)
- DVD Lupin the 3rd Movie DVD Collection (DeAGOSTINI)
- DVD Lupin III Film Collection (N.12, Yamato Video/La Gazzetta dello Sport)
- DVD June 7, 2016 (Discotek) [Japanese with English subtitles]
While the TV Special was not dubbed into English, there are differences between the Japanese original and the Italian dub.
- When Lupin is locked in a cell and Zenigata talks to him, there are two differences between the two. While reading the newspaper, the original has Japanese subtitles translating the text baked in while the International masters used in the Italian dub left this blank. Lupin compares Zenigata to Harry Callaghan and says depending on translation "During the day, you're like the ultimate policeman Dirty Harry" or "I thought that you were channeling Dirty Harry then" in the Japanese original. In the Italian dub, this was slightly changed to "Yes, you were a mixture of Detective Callaghan and 007". Note the Italian dub uses the term Inspector rather than Detective.
- This was the first digitally animated TV special and the first Lupin project that was completely digitally animated.
- The Italian TV dub title is a reference to the film Escape from Alcatraz, this was reverted to its original title on DVD but kept during airings on Mediaset channels.
- The villain Andy has a resemblance to Kogoro Mori from Detective Conan.
- This TV special was influenced by the San Francisco arc from the New Lupin III (Manga). The moment where Lupin gets a metal ball put on his head, the treasure being in a sunken ship and a circular submarine are in both. There are differences such as in the manga instead of Terry Crown being Zenigata's partner, it is Starmow. The ship is lifted throughout in the manga, while in Alcatraz Connection Fujiko gets gold bars laying on the sea bed from a submarine. Both Lupin stealing the cable car and Zenigata's partner interrogating Fujiko were changed, Part III Episode 1 being a more faithful adaptation of those scenes.
- Terry Crown is partly based on Starmow from the manga due to that he was Zenigata's partner, he smoked and has a similar but not the same character design. Huang is also based on Chin Kai.
- This is one of the few times in the series that anime based expressions are used, Zenigata shows them when meeting Lupin both in his cell and in Alcatraz for the first time.
- ルパン三世 アルカトラズ コネクション. www.mau2.com (in Japanese)